Friday, August 11, 2006

...and on that farm they had some chicks

EIEI . . . Ohhh, crap they're all dead. Well, all but one. We have a lone auracana hen who manages to keep herself alive but that's it. All my guinea keets, all my pullets, and the last three layers. Husband and I have plans to work on finishing the chicken yard this weekend. If we could get a decent gate up and secure the bottom of the fence, they might actually survive longer than a few weeks. I figure we can cobble together a coop; we didn't heat them beyond keeping the water fresh, so it shouldn't be a huge issue if there's nothing fancy. Keep the drafts out, like, and things should be golden.

...She said, knowing the awful truth.

In other news, I found a guy who'll come here and slaughter, so next spring I plan on getting a couple weaner pigs and call him out in the fall. Mmmm, bacon. I'm also looking at maybe getting a small (seriously, 36-42" high! Awwww!) cow or two. Right now I'm looking at Dexters but I'm open to other breeds. All I really care about is that it's old-fashioned and hardy.

I'd also like some goats. Goat! They'd take care of the pasture right quick, I'll tell you that.

So, my sneaky plans to make Husband live on an actual farm are progressing, at least in my feverish little brain. Anyone who has practical advice (other than DON'T DO IT!), please drop me a line. I could use a little encouragement.

4 comments:

Dyke One said...

Goats are mean, ornery animals. Our old neighbors had some, and every time we watched them when they went out of town, those stupid goats would escape. We'd end up chasing them up and down the road trying to herd them back into the barnyard. The male, Beaurogard, would look at us, waving brooms at him, yelling and running, and he would saunter over to us and proceed to eat the brooms.

But, I am so sorry to hear that all your chickens are gone...

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous!!!!!! One day, we too will live on an almost farm. :) I want a horse or two, too. And dairy cows, and pigs, and sheep (for wool!) and chicken for eggs! *she sighs longingly* yeah, yeah, don't talk me out of it, either. LOL

Maisy said...

we agared (i hope that is spelled right) the holes like a year ago....what have you been doing?? ha ha ha i thought you had the chicken pen done a long time ago... that will teach ya.....

Northwoods Baby said...

Shut up, I hate you.

We got wire to finish the bottom and we're working on setting up the old kennel sections so the goaties have a place to live. Get off my back, hoser.


PS, I have the skirt for E and your ovaries are going to explode when you see it. EXPLODE! EVERYWHERE! OVARIES!