Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Already doing something wrong

Dude's cool new Bumgenius 3.0 diapers came on Monday and he promptly pooped FOUR TIMES to break them in. Problem: despite prewash, wash, and extra rinse, they still smell. Sun? Another round of washing? I'm waiting on a bunch of PFs and covers, so if I need to switch to something without fleece I can do that, but I'd really like to be able to put these to good use.

Help!

Oh, and I've managed to lose two cloth wipes in a day. This is going great!

4 comments:

d e v a n said...

Hmm, do an extra cold rinse in vinegar. You could also try baking soda in the prewash cycle. If they still stink, definitely sun! Hope that helps...

Anonymous said...

Hi! I found your blog when I did a search on bumgenius. What type of detergent are you using? You may actually not be using enough detergent. Do you have a front or top loader? The baking soda and vinegar might help, but they also void the warranty with bumgenius, so you might want to try something else first. I suggest using a bit more detergent and then continue washing until the wash runs clear. If you need more help with them, please feel free to visit my website and email me: www.simplewondersdiapers.com

Hope this helps a little!
Sultana

Kristin said...

I suspect it has something to do with your front loader + the water. What I do with mine, your mileage may vary --- when they stink: run them through a wash cycle on cold. Then do my normal washing.

Cloth wipes: for about 5 bucks (or buy me a beer) I can put into your hands about 30+ wipes. Supposing you don't mind used wipes.

Call me and we can talk diapers if ya want.

Kristin said...

Ok I just re-read. prewash, wash, etc.....

try getting a bucket (your diaper pail will do) and soaking overnight in cold water. I swear -- with the old top loader we soaked overnight in cold, spun down and then washed (in top loader) on hot and they were good to go.